Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Teacher Dream/ Nightmare

Many years ago, I used to work at a Mexican restaurant. My brother worked there and so did Kevin. We all have MANY fond memories of working there. The problem is occasionally I have a dream that I missed work and they call me and tell me I am on the schedule and better be there soon or else! Now, it has been like 15 years since I worked there, but in my dreams this makes sense. So of course when I get there, I don't remember the menu or how to log onto the computer and my tables are all full etc.... Whew! Then, I wake up realizing it was a dream... and mysteriously craving chips and salsa...

Now for the last 5 years, I have been having a similar dream about teaching....and I bet my teacher friends have had this one once or twice too.... It starts where I am awakened by a phone call from my ex-principal, Jane. She tells me that I am late to school and that I have 30 kids sitting in the classroom waiting for me. I try to explain that I live in AZ, not UT and that I don't even know where the school is. She tells me it doesn't matter and that I better get there! I drive thru this fog in my mind and always end up somewhere in Lehi (UT and BTW: NOT at the schools I have actually worked in!). I can't figure out where to park or how to find the office. I am always horrified by what I am wearing (usually a bathing suit or jammies!). Once I find the office, it is full of familiar faces from years ago and they welcome me, but hurry me because the bell already rang. Of course, I can't find my teacher mailbox or attendance cards or my classroom keys. I wander thru campus blindly until I get to a relocatable which has my name on the door (thank goodness). Now, the kids in the class always change in theses dreams... sometimes it is old students from my past or just random strangers or deaf students (which makes me panic because I don't know sign language) or the scariest... junior high kids (SCARY)!! I have no curriculum and no idea what I am going to teach them that day and I have total anxiety! Then.... I wake up and am SOOOOOO grateful that is was just a dream/ nightmare! Since I started my preschool, I have noticed that I have been having this dream more frequently. I am so happy that I will always know who my boss is (me). I will always know where my classroom is (here!) and I will always know the age of my students and curriculum I will teach. WHEW!! So... happy dreams to you all! I am off to do some preschool planning!

2 comments:

Steph said...

I have had the waitressing dreams but never the teaching nightmares... that sounds awful though- I would never want to disappoint Jane!!

jen&boys said...

I have that dream all the time! One time my classroom was in Walmart... Gotta love that... I just kept thinking, this can't be safe for the kids...